Friday, August 15, 2014

LAUGHTER IS THE CLOSEST THING TO THE GRACE OF GOD (Karl Barth)



 


 








I would not be a party to that last and meanest unkindness, treachery to a would-be suicide. My sympathies have been with the suicides for many, many years. I am always glad when the suicide succeeds in his undertaking. I always feel a genuine pain in my heart, a genuine grief, a genuine pity, when some scoundrel stays the suicide's hand and compels him to continue his life.
Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol. 2 (2013), p. 45-46




Of the demonstrably wise there are but two: those who commit suicide, & those who keep their reasoning faculties atrophied with drink.
Mark Twain's Notebook, 1898




But we are all insane, anyway...The suicides seem to be the only sane people.
Mark Twain's Notebook, #40, (Jan. 1897-July 1900)





I have been thinking a lot about the suicide of Robin Williams.


I have been thinking about what he was feeling, and more macabre than this, I have been thinking about how it felt to die by hanging.


It makes me sad and sick.


People are now spinning their wheels about why Robin Williams took his own life.

Was it the onset of Parkinson's disease?

Was it because the TV show he was on got cancelled?

Was it because of money problems?


Of all of the above quotes, the one that fits Robin Williams is by Bill Maher when he says, “Suicide is man's way of telling God, 'You can't fire me...I quit.”


It even sounds like something Robin Williams would have said.


Only Buddy Hackett got me belly laughing as hard as Robin Williams did.


Unfortunately, his last act wasn't a bit funny.





IT'S ABOUT RENEWABLE RESOURCES!



















No comments: